Monday, February 23, 2009

Schultz family farm

We decided that we might as well go big or go home. Instead of my 12 x 25 foot garden we decided to make 2 garden beds both measuring 13 x 42 with a 3 foot space in between. Dan worked so hard this weekend....I don't know what I would have done without his willingness to support my hobby with his manual labor! I would be tilling till April!! I'll pay him back in vegetables.....in June. He brought the compost out in the wheel barrow and then raked it all out and then tilled the garden beds with the compost in it twice to make sure it was all mixed. Compost is too rich to plant right into....it needs to be mixed with dirt. Anyway.....we still have to put a fence up around the garden and Dan is about halfway done with the compost barrels, so we're chuggin' along. I still have my vegetable and fruit seeds to pick out and buy. I think I'll have a mixture of seeds and already started plants just to kinda kick start the garden and see how each grows for future reference. We also need to take soil samples and send them in to get analyzed before I plant to see what the balance is like in our soil and if we need to add anything. Fun stuff I tell ya! In not as fun news, in addition to tilling the garden, Dan tilled our entire yard front and back so now we have a LOT of loose dirt which means a lot of dirt making its way into my house on dog and toddler feet. We aren't going to be able to plant grass seed until April/May so it's gonna be like this for a while!!! I'm glad the work got done.....not so happy about the dirty floors!

Dan making piles of compost

Our 7 yards of compost dwindling

Tilling

A view of just how BIG the garden is

Dan turning the tiller around
It was really heavy and quite a bit of work to turn!!

Modern farmer.....cell phone and heavy machinery lol

Tyson and the garden

No comments:

County McCounterson