Tuesday, March 24, 2009

chick date

Well, we lost the little white leghorn that wasn't healthy.....which I expected. So I wasn't really sad. The other 5 are doing really well and are spunky and running around all over like crazy chickens! I have been a little concerned about the black australorps and thought that maybe they were bantams (small chickens) or maybe some other breed because they are so petite, but after some investigating I'm 99.99% sure that they are standard black australorps. We have the babies in the same pen as the big gals, but have them separated with chicken wire and up until today we had their space lined with aluminum foil just to make sure it was around 95 degrees. We took the foil down today since as they get older they don't need it as hot, and the babies are now hopping back and forth between their pen and the bigger pen. It seems to work out pretty well because they can mingle, but then go back to their side where its warmer and they have their own food and water. It seems to keep down the pecking order fights that naturally will come up over food and sleeping locations but also gives them the opportunity to get used to each other, and will hopefully make the coop integration easier! It's amazing to see the size difference and how fast my Reds have grown! And speaking of grown, Lucky (our barred rock) has taken over a mama role with the new babies....I'm hoping this means that she is a she....I can't imagine a Roo being so accomodating, but we'll see. So all in all things are going well. Our remaining 9 chicks seem healthy and happy. Now we just need to get started on their outside coop because before we know it the time to throw them out of my kitchen will be upon us! I'm excited for that day so they won't be in the house anymore, but also sad because I can't check in on them ten gazillion times a day!

Lucky acting like a Mama

Kisses?

The whole gang on one side

Eating together

The babies back on their own side chowing down

1 comment:

Becky said...

I love the new header picture! And I love hearing about the chickens! Can't wait to see them full grown.

County McCounterson