Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Hoping for yeast

I've become a little obsessed with bread making recently. It all started with a starter for Amish Friendship Bread that Dan brought home from work. For those who don't know what that is, it's basically a sweet bread that starts the old fashioned way by growing yeast for 10 days and then making new starters for friends and making loaves of bread. I thought it was a lot of fun, so I began researching bread making and it seemed like it could be a new hobby......I'm always big on a hobby that you can eat in the end! lol So, since my inaugural friendship bread, I've made a fantastic French bread kneaded by hand and I've got 2 sourdough starters in the process of feeding and growing. I've been told by many people that sourdough is a difficult process, but it is by far my most favorite bread, so it's a no brainer that I have to attempt it. And for those who don't know me.....I will succeed.....I will continue making sourdough bread and starters until I get something that I can be happy with, even if it takes forever to get there. I'm also thinking about getting some Carl Griffith's 1847 Oregon Trail Sourdough Starter because it might help me to make my own starter better just by seeing something that has succeeded for over 150 years. We'll see. I'll let y'all know how things are progressing.....until then, feast your eyes on my very first hand made French loaf:

No comments:

County McCounterson