Friday, March 13, 2009

field trip

The chicks had a field trip yesterday.....in our back yard. While Dan and I were gardening and Charlotte was sitting on a blanket playing with toys, the chicks got to peck at the ground and run around. It's interesting to me that they stick so close together even when they have a ton of free space. I wonder if they will always be like that or if it's just chick behavior. As far as I can tell they enjoyed being outdoors, but they didn't seem to mind going back inside either, so who knows. I don't know how playful chicks are supposed to be, but my little flock is very playful. One chick will find a piece of paper, or a rock and start running around with it, and the other three chase after it. The first chick will drop it and another one will grab it and start running....it's kind of like chicken soccer, and highly entertaining to watch! As soon as we start getting warm weather more consistently we'll take the chicks outside more. As usual, North Carolina spring is very unpredictable....one day is 85 degrees, the next is 40 degrees and so on.....keeps us on our toes!





1 comment:

Becky said...

I love the one of the single chick. It's posture reminds me of the seagulls in Nemo: "Mine? Mine?" :)

County McCounterson