Tuesday, March 17, 2009

New chicks in town



There's a new chick in town.....well 2 actually. We went and picked up two barred rock chicks today. I was under the impression that they were going to be 2 weeks old, and I think one of them is, but the other one doesn't look more than a few days old. They are super cute and the little one looks just like a black cotton ball, but their size has some disadvantages. I introduced them to my flock when we got home and seriously, my reds seemed like they were afraid of the little guys. The hens all huddled up in the corner and were jumping on top of each other to get away from the babies. The babies being much smaller than the reds just walked right up under their legs which freaked the hens out and caused them to run away and huddle in another corner. There was also a little bit of hostility and pecking towards the barred rocks which is to be expected, but I really don't want them to get too picked on when they are so little and not able to defend themselves. So right now I have the babies in a fish aquarium propped up on a small box inside the chicken pen closest to the light and segregated from my reds. I am going to let them have time together to "meet and greet" everyday, but I'm gonna keep them separated until the babies are a couple weeks older. The benefit of them being in a clear box is that they can all see each other and get used to each other but there won't be any fighting. So far it's worked really well. Hopefully it will continue to do so.


No comments:

County McCounterson