Saturday, May 23, 2009

birthday party

We had Charlotte's birthday party last weekend. It was a bit of a hectic day because we were not very unpacked and it ended up pouring rain the entire day. Not exactly the way I had pictured the day going.....Dan and my dad had set up the swing set so that we could send all the kids outdoors to play and run around. Instead they played and ran around my house. We ended up having close friends and family here and a total of 12 children. We made broccoli and potato salad some yummy dips and the plan was to grill chicken.....about 10 minutes into grilling we ran out of propane in our little tank and we have yet to hook up our new grill to the main propane line......so we ended up having to bake it. Again not how I had pictured it, but at least Dan didn't have to stand outside in his rain gear anymore lol!!

The kids had a blast playing up in the girl's room and the adults seemed to enjoy eating and chatting. Charlotte got a few new toys....thankfully not very many.....we are trying to downsize on the toys. Maddie napped for nearly the whole party, she was so tired from her cousins visiting she was out for almost 3 hours.....we had to wake her up for the cake. Charlotte liked the cake, but was actually very dainty with it. I remember Maddie smearing her first birthday cake all over her face and head and then needing a bath when she was done. Charlotte ate a little, and turned the cake upside down, but she didn't really make much of a mess. We had enough potato salad left over to last for a year, and we still have cake in the fridge.

All in all it was a lovely day. Although I am learning that it is not nearly as relaxing and enjoyable to be the hostess at a party. I wished that I could have visited with people more and actually played with the kids, but I was too busy running around the house like a chicken with my head cut off. I look forward to having more "events" at my home, but I think from now on I'll either not serve a meal, or have it catered....yeah right! lol I'm sure that the more I host the better I will get at all the juggling involved. Enjoy the pictures of Charlotte eating cake.....I realize there are WAY too many, but they were too cute not to post!









1 comment:

Becky said...

It's funny, your version of way too many pictures is like a fraction of the pictures I post! :) We had Declan's party today, and yeah, it's not in anyway relaxing to be the hostess. All I can say is that I hope I can be more organized next time...yes, all I can do is hope.... :) Happy Birthday Charlotte!!!

County McCounterson