Thursday, June 17, 2010

Garden in June

Things are going really well in the garden, but I'm starting to feel a little overwhelmed. Everything is growing like crazy, my squash is trying to take over the world, I have so many cucumbers in my fridge I have no idea what to do with them and my lettuce and spinach went crazy while we were on vacation and have been pulled out due to bolting. It has been really hot and humid (hello North Carolina summer!) and I am getting bigger and more uncomfortable all which makes it less appealing to be outside gardening. Dan has been a big help on days I just don't feel motivated to get outside to water and weed, but I've found that it's more bearable to work around 7:00 when the sun isn't shining on my shoulders and the temp is a little cooler. A little bug spray to keep the evil mosquitoes away and I'm good to go. I have to say that eating the fruits of our labors has been a lot of fun thus far although I have to be creative and search for recipes so I can get rid of large quantities of certain veggies. This growing season has also been very educational and we are already making mental notes of what we would do differently next year. All of the pictures below were taken this evening! Enjoy.

Strawberries & potatoes

Sweet potatoes, carrots, lettuce, swiss chard & beets

Cantaloupe, basil, onions, sage & radishes

Tomato plant, sugar snap peas, baby spinach, and radishes

Bush beans, pole beans, bell pepper, eggplant, sweet potatoes, onions, thyme, marigolds & corn

White eggplant

Bell peppers

This is a sad bed right now.....I just pulled a bunch of stuff out and replanted.
Tomatoes, basil, oregano, rosemary, swiss chard, beets, marigolds & baby lettuce
Seeds planted: bush beans, radishes

I have about 50 HUGE tomatoes on this one plant and they just aren't ripening.....is that normal? They are supposed to be Cherokee Purple.

Cucumbers, sunflowers, bell peppers, squash, basil, thyme & marigolds

A gazillion cucumbers

Corn

Here's hoping we actually get some edible corn!!

Blackberries & raspberries
In need of a trellis!

I wasn't expecting any berries this year and we've gotten blackberries, raspberries & blueberries. They just keep producing berries.....not many at a time, but still BERRIES!!!

Sunflowers, corn & bell peppers
The corn isn't doing well.

This is pretty much our daily harvest.
Before the leafy veggies bolted we also had a ton of lettuce and spinach.

No comments:

County McCounterson