Friday, September 17, 2010

Random musings from an almost mother of 3

I have truly sucked at blogging this summer. I feel so ashamed......blogger may kick me out of the cool kids club. We're just not doing very much of interest so I haven't been taking many pictures, because who wants to see pictures of boring everyday things?!? And really, who wants to read a blog without pictures? I find pics to be close to necessary in blogs....otherwise it's just a bunch of words and my faux ADD comes out. So, yes Ive failed at blogging this summer, but I have high hopes for the next couple months! Fall is my most favorite time of year, we usually do a lot of fun activities and we'll have a new baby in the house....imagine all the pictures I will be taking! Don't give up on me faithful readers, I will return in full force.....eventually!

Beware!! This blog is going to be one of those boring, no picture blogs. As I inch closer to the arrival of my third child (18 days!) I have lots of thoughts bouncing around in my head, so I figured I'd get some of them out! Bring on the random.......

-I've been craving ice lately. All day long I munch on crushed ice! I am normally not an ice eater but for whatever reason I've been lovin' it as of late. Hopefully it doesn't do anything bad to my teeth!

-This has been my easiest pregnancy and it has gone by the fastest. I'm sure that its because the girls keep me busy and distracted, but I've also experienced fewer negative pregnancy symptoms. Being pregnant is still not my favorite, but this one has been far more enjoyable than the last 2!

-I am really looking forward to finding out what gender this baby is! It'll be fun to hear the doctor actually yell out, "It's a........" because normally they don't do that since most people find out what they're having before the birth. We've now done it both ways (finding out and not finding out) and I have to say that I like the not finding out a lot better! I highly recommend it.

-Every so often I think about how hard labor is and how painful it is and it makes me want to just stay pregnant. I know it's only one day, and it really isn't that bad, but just the thought of all that pain makes me hurt. Man, labor is painful!

-There are quite a few things I want to accomplish before this baby arrives, but very few of them actually involve preparing for the baby. I have to get my boppy and bouncy chairs out of storage and wash the covers, install the car seat, set up the arms reach co sleeper and buy a few pacis (you never know what a new baby is going to like when it comes to pacis!) Other than those few things I'm pretty much set when it comes to baby stuff. On the other hand, we need to finish staining our fence, finish winterizing our garden, strip and stain 1 dresser and paint another dresser (not 100% necessary before baby), get our carpets cleaned and clean the garage. Did I mention that I have approx. 18 days?!?!?!

-I have been really on top of keeping my house clean and picked up for the past few weeks. Laundry is being done regularly and actually being folded and put away instead of sitting in baskets clean. Dishes are being done every night, sweeping is happening way more often, and we're having the girls keep their spaces neat and orderly. I hate the idea of bringing a new baby home to a messy disorganized home. I know eventually it'll get that way because it always does, but I'd like to start out with a clean slate. My house is looking really good!

-I've already had thoughts about baby number 4! I know this is insanity because once baby 3 arrives I'll not want to have another baby for a very long time......I generally say I'm not having any more after I give birth and for a good 8-12 months after but the planner in me is already thinking about what would be a good age difference between 3 and 4 and when might be a good time of the year to be pregnant etc. Yes, I am insane!

-I need to start cooking meals and freezing them in preparation of baby's arrival. I did this before having Charlotte and it worked out SO well. Between my mother in law and my mother staying with us, meals brought over by friends and the meals I had frozen we didn't have to think about making dinners for a long time! Which is super nice when sleep deprived and dealing with a screaming baby.....here's hoping this baby is not as vocal as Charlotte was. It's also nice to have home made meals instead of depending on fast food or take out when the evening is crazy and I don't have time to whip something fresh up. So, I'm thinking that I should make myself a schedule and make 3-4 meals every weekend until baby arrives.....which at this point gives me 3 weekends and 9-12 meals.

-I'm wondering if there is anything I need to do to prepare my kids for the arrival of a new baby? We talk about it all the time. They see and play with all the baby stuff as we get it out and set it up, we get books from the library about babies and new siblings. I feel like they have a good idea about what is going on, and that soon there will be a baby in the house and that they are going to have a new brother or sister. I just don't know if I'm missing anything, or if there is something special I could/should do with them to prepare them emotionally for this big life change. Any ideas?

-I have some baby stuff that I need to sell on craigslist. If I don't get around to it in the next 2 weeks I'm going to just donate it all!

-We still don't know yet what the outcome will be with my placenta issue. At my last ultrasound it was 1.75 cm from my cervix. it needs to be 2 cm for them to let me have a vaginal delivery. My next appointment is on September 27th and I'll be having my last ultrasound.....hopefully it's moved up enough! At that point I'll be so close to delivering it's not like I could get a second opinion or a new doctor. We're hoping for the best.

-I don't do birthing plans. I guess I understand people who do, but it never works out the way you plan, so I say why bother. It is good to be informed and do your homework ahead of time of what the options are, and to know what you'd like to happen! My "plan"......Hopefully no c-section, I want the mirror this time, no episiotomy, no in hospital vaccinations, no bottles, rooming in. That's about it. The rest I am pretty flexible with as long as the wee one comes out and is as healthy!

-I'm nervous about having the baby sleep in our room for such a long time. Since our bedroom is downstairs and the other bedrooms are upstairs, and neither Dan or I want to trek upstairs for every night feeding and diaper change, this baby will be in our room indefinitely. With both Maddie and Charlotte they were in their own crib in their own room by 3 months. I am a very finicky sleeper and I am ultra alert when I have an infant which makes it difficult to sleep well. I'm hoping this babe is sensitive to my needs (lol) and is a good sleeper otherwise he/she might have a nursery in our walk in closet. Haha.

-I really, really hope that this baby is more mellow than Charlotte was. Charlotte seriously cried all.the.time for the first 7 months of her life. I don't blame her for my post partum depression, but I know that having a high needs baby did not help the situation. I know that life is going to be chaotic with 3 kids especially in the beginning and it would be sooo nice to have a mellow go with the flow baby. I have a feeling that this may actually happen this time......not sure why I feel like that, but I'm staying optimistic. Besides, this baby is going to have built in entertainment and 3 mamas fussing over him/her!

-I can't believe that I'm about to be the mother of 3 kids! There are lots of people my age who don't have any kids and I'm going to have 3!!! It's hard to wrap my head around that. But I'm really excited to meet this kid and have another member of the Schultz family!

No comments:

County McCounterson