Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy birthday to me?

Yesterday was my birthday. I am officially 28 years old. I remember when I was freaked out over turning 24 and now I am a mere 2 years from the big 3-0 and it doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

So, my day started off well.....Dan got me the 50mm camera lens that I have been wanting, my friend came over and brought me breakfast, flowers were delivered from a dear friend, I got 4 great happy birthday e-mails and a handful of phone calls and then I started having contractions around 11:00. No, it wasn't anything serious, but I had them off and on all day long and let me just say they are not very comfortable. They were never consistant and I honestly think that I just overdid it this weekend because today I've only had one. It's just weird becuase with Maddie I didn't have preterm contractions or braxton hicks contractions and this time I'm having them 4 weeks early!

I had an OB appt. scheduled for 2:00 yesterday to have another ultrasound to see how the baby is growing (since I have GD they are concerned that she will get too big) so I get to the office and end up waiting for nearly an hour.....I finally get into the u/s room and things look good, Charlotte is weighing in at 5 pounds 10 ounces which they said was right on track.....hooray she isn't getting too big.....BUT she is breech. For those of you who don't know that term, it means that the baby's head is up by my rib cage instead of down by my pelvis where it needs to be for birth. I know that doesn't sound so bad because babies move around and stuff in the womb, but at this point only having 4 weeks left Charlotte really should be head down and ready. So after talking to my OB there are 3 options. 1. Charlotte is a good girl and in the next 2-3 weeks she rotates on her own to the proper birthing position. 2. At 38 weeks I go to the hospital and have a external cephalic version performed which basically is taking drugs to relax my uterus and then having 2 doctors try and force the baby to rotate by pushing her out of the pelvic bones and shoving her in one direction in hopes that she flips. 3. Scheduling a c-section during my 39th week.

Here are my thoughts on the options: aaaaahhhhh.....%@^& $%%^! $%!!! This child better rotate on her own because I don't even want to think about the other 2 options. I really really really don't want to have a c-section. I have never had surgery before and I really don't want to be cut open, I don't want there to be a delay in me being able to bond with Charlotte or have any problems with nursing due to not being able to have her at the breast right away. I don't want to have a longer healing time that comes with major abdominal surgery and I don't want to be limited to c-sections for future children since not many doctors like to deal with vbacs. With the other option, the external cephalic version there is only a 65% chance that it will even work and more often than not the stress on the baby causes preterm labor which is why an anesthesiologist has to be present because if anything starts going bad they will put me under and take the baby. I also talked to a woman today in my playgroup who had one with her first child and said it was the most painful thing she has ever been through, it didn't work and she ended up having a c-section anway. She said it was WAY worse than the c-section itself.....and that includes the pain from the healing process. I know that nothing is final and Charlotte could very well turn herself around, I'm just really bummed because with my first pregnancy I was told numerous times that I was more than likely going to have a c-section because of my gestational diabetes, and even after I delivered my doctor told me he thought for sure I was going to have one, but I didn't. I proved them wrong and proved that I COULD have a vaginal birth and now this time I was all pumped because I knew it was possible and this little stinker could make it impossible just because of her position.....I really thought the "c" word was going to be a non-issue. SO, please please keep us in your prayers, send happy baby rotating thoughts our way because I would really like to not have to deal with options 2 or 3.

The rest of my birthday was okay although I was extremely uncomfortable. I got some money from my parents and grandma's that I am trying to figure out how to spend and I took a lovely bath to try and relax before bed. Oh, and Dan got me some cheese cake. Not the best birthday ever, but I felt really loved by those around me, and hey it could have been worse.....I had mono on my 19th birthday and my parents thought I was going to die. That was WAY worse! lol

Happy birthday to me.

No comments:

County McCounterson