Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

I hope that everyone is having a lovely Mother's Day. Mine has been okay so far, but I think on principle it shouldn't start at 5:45 in the morning. I don't know if Maddie was just overly excited to wish me a happy Mother's day or what, but she was up bright eyed and bushy tailed at 5:45. Since Dan is working this weekend he put her in bed with me thinking that she would go back to sleep? NOT. The child and I can not sleep together.....we're like water and vinegar in that aspect. So after lying there quietly for about 10 minutes the tossing and turning started, the accidently kicking me started, the covers off, covers on, covers off, started and I ended up with a bloody nose.......so we got up. (the bloody nose is a pregnany thing, not a getting beat up by a toddler thing) So, here I am drinking my coffee and trying to get my eyes to stay permanently open, and Maddie is watching the Mother's day Dora special and drinking her milk. I have a feeling it's going to be an interesting day to say the least. Oh, and for the record......Maddie getting up before 7:00 is pretty much unheard of....it's just my luck today! lol

Since Dan is working all weekend our festivities are kind of spread out. And since we don't have money lying around to show grand gestures for motherhood and fatherhood (next month) we are celebrating in the BEST way....with home made food!! Last night Dan made me a red velvet cake which would have to tie with carrot cake as my all time favorite cake. Now, when I say he made the cake I mean he MADE it!!! No cake mix in a box, no frosting bought at the store.....my man did it all from scratch.....two layer, homemade frosting in the middle splendid from scratch cake. It was his first time ever making a cake from scratch and he did a FANTASTIC job. Not only do I feel so honored that he made that kind of effort for me and no one else, but it was freakin' delicious......so he's gonna have to do it again sometime!!! I got cards left for me this morning from Dan and Maddie which were too sweet and tomorrow morning (starts Dan's weekend) Dan and Maddie are making me buttermilk pancakes from scratch which I get to eat anywhere I choose......I might choose to eat them in bed, but it seems a little messy for my taste and I don't want to eat all alone and the thought of me trying to eat pancakes in bed with Maddie climbing and jumping all over me does not seem very relaxing. So I'll probably eat at the table, but it's nice to know I have options!

Dan's first ever cake:





I did get an early Mother's day present about a week ago, but it was a combined moms gift and birthday gift all rolled into one. I am in LOVE with it! A woman in my mom's group posted a link to the site of an artist/jewlery maker in Northern California who makes wonderful handcrafted and personalized pieces (she also writes whimsical blogs). I fell in love with one necklace that had tags that you can add names or special words to and it came with a fresh water pearl on a pretty chain. If I had all the money in the world, I would totally own every one of her designs. My lame picture doesn't do it justice but it really is lovely.

Necklace from Lisa Leonard Designs: http://lisaleonardonline.com/



I hope that all you Mama's out there have a very special Mother's Day. It's nice to have a day devoted especially to you where your family appreciates you for all that you do. I'll be thinking of every one of you while I eat my red velvet cake! Yummm.

No comments:

County McCounterson