Thursday, September 25, 2008

Goodbye summer......& other thoughts

I've been waiting for fall since May. I despise North Carolina summers and I start feeling dread around April and start having visions of lovely fall weather around May. Summer always used to be my favorite season, it meant going to the beach and staying outside late, walking out of a movie theater in the evening and not needing a jacket. Summer in North Carolina means staying indoors a lot. It means humidity and 100 degree weather and sweat trickling down your back and pooling near your butt just from walking out to the car and back. North Carolina summers alone make me want to move up north to a state that is less icky during the summer even if it means 6 feet of snow in the winter.....although I'd probably hate that too! lol I guess I just miss Southern California weather. That's pretty much all I miss about California, that and the food and the beach, oh and all my family and friends......I guess I miss more than I thought I did. But there are some good things here, I like the space and the lack of buildings EVERYWHERE. I like seeing the farms and the crops rotate each season, and I like having lots of outside activities to do like hay rides and outdoor concerts and 4th of July parties with HUGE firework displays and our annual ham and yam festival (don't ask! lol) and huge Christmas light displays. I like the crisp air in fall and the vibrant colors of the leaves changing, the days when it snows, even though its usually just once a year and like 1/4 inch of snow, the tulips and daffodils that pop up randomly everywhere every spring. I like that there isn't really any traffic and almost any road you take is scenic. I like that we can travel to a number of different states in the matter of a few hours. I like the trees , the huge towering trees that cover this state. I like that the people here aren't fake, I mean there are exceptions, but generally there aren't breast implants and liposuction and ridiculously expensive designer clothes and Mercedes. There isn't a feeling of people trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Anyway....that was a bit of an unplanned tangent. I'm really glad that summer is finally over.....I've been impatiently awaiting its end. The last couple of days have been cool and in the 70s. Today it was rainy and delicious.....the perfect weather for napping and home made soup. Soon the leaves will start changing color and we will get our sweaters out from the back of our closets. I'm sure that I will have some colorful pictures to share with you. Until then enjoy some scenery pics from my too hot summer!











1 comment:

Becky said...

Are all those pretty places by your house?! Man that's gorgeous!

County McCounterson