Thursday, March 5, 2009

I'm sick of sick


Yesterday was horrible. Horrible. I am so over this flu I could scream.....apparently the flu is not over us yet. I woke up at 5:15 in the morning to Charlotte crying with diarrhea and then she threw up all over herself. Fun. At one point yesterday I changed 12 diarrhea diapers in an hour. Charlotte's bum is so red and raw from the acid that it's close to bleeding in a few spots and all diapers MUST be changed immediately then she air dries then aquaphor to keep the next go round off her skin. But she is in pain and screams bloody murder every time we even lay her down on her changing table. She won't eat anything solid. She is hardly drinking any milk or pedyalite. And to add a cherry to this disgusting sundae she is seriously teething.....she got no. 7 in and is working on at least 2 more teeth....maybe even molars. Phooey.

I had a bit of a break down yesterday.....it's just so hard to have sick kids. And during sickness I can really feel how alone we are here. I don't have anyone who can help.....no one to come over and help me, or relieve me for an hour....no one who could take Maddie for a a bit while I deal with 12 diaper changes in an hour. None of our family is close enough, and we don't have friends who don't work full time or go to school full time that could help. I feel isolated and really alone. I have my husband to depend on, but he needs to earn our bread and there is only so much time he can take off work without notice.

Anyway.....we ended up taking Charlotte to the doctor which was a huge waste of time. I don't know why I even bother. I seriously feel like pedi offices are only for people who have no clue. What we were told yesterday was: Keep her hydrated. Really? Try and get food into her. Really? Put cream on her diaper rash. Really? I had no idea. I think that any good mother's intuition would tell you that. And if you lack the intuition of a mother the internet will give you more comprehensive info. than we got yesterday. It seems that I always end up taking my kids to the doctor because I get scared and worried that my own intuition isn't enough.....what if they are sicker than I think......what if they need antibiotics......what if it continues to get worse. And every time I take them in, I learn nothing new, I am disapointed that I took them and exposed them to the cesspool of germs that is the doctors office and I go home $15 poorer with cranky sick kids who were forced to "be good" for an hour and a half all for nothing.

Again....anyway.....today has been better so far. We got up at 6:30 instead of 5:15. There hasn't been any vomit and Charlotte has only had one bad diaper. She still isn't eating/drinking much but she is getting enough fluids as far as I can tell. I have also been putting probiotics in her pedyalite to help with the flora in her intestines. She is as cranky as she was yesterday, but she isn't feeling well and that is to be expected. Hopefully we stay on this track for the rest of the day! Oh, and yesterday afternoon Maddie woke up from her nap sick. I thought we had escaped her getting sick, but alas we did not. She doesn't seem to have the stomach issues, but she is so hoarse she can barely talk and she isn't eating or drinking much of anything other than bananas. This seems t be the way with Maddie......when she gets sick it's upper respitory and mostly her throat.

I am trying to be calm and happy and positive, but I am honestly tired of all this. I am sick of the whining and sick of changing diaper after diaper and I've seen more vomit the past few days than I've seen in years. Having sick kids is NO fun. It's even less fun than being sick yourself. Please pray for my girls. They need to get better.....for my sake and theirs. We're over it.

No comments:

County McCounterson