Saturday, September 12, 2009

Three

I always wanted a little girl, and three years ago today at 5:41 pm I got the best prize I had ever received. An 8 pound 7 ounce beautiful bundle that we named Madeline Rose. I remember the day I went to the hospital to give birth, how scared I was to go through labor, to be responsible for a tiny little being, scared that I wouldn't know how to love a baby. Turns out, it was all for nothing. Labor was easy, maternal instinct kicked in strong and I fell in love with her instantly. She is an easy girl to love!

Through every stage of Maddie's life I have said "this one is my favorite," and this second year has been no exception. With the growth of this year we've seen defiance and stubbornness but we've also watched her grow into a polite, kind, creative, funny, imaginative and capable young girl! Maddie has always been a fiercely independent child. This year she started school, learned how to ride a tricycle, swam in the ocean for the first time, broke her arm, learned how to undress herself, built a snowman and rode a horse. She is a chatter bug and it is so fantastic to hear what comes out of her mouth. Just the other day she told me "That is so beautiful Mama, thank you very much," in reference to some shelves we put up. I don't think that there is another child on earth who loves to be tickled as much as Maddie does. When you stop, she'll tell you "tickle me some more, here on my belly." She loves chalk and bubbles and dancing. Her favorite books are the look and find ones, and pretty much anything with pages! She loves going to the library and the museum and if there is water of any kind around she will be wet! She loves pancakes and singing and anything with chocolate. Maddie is not the kind of girl who will wear ruffly dresses or bows.....she won't even let me put her hair in a ponytail and she could care less about dolls or dressing up. She is the kind of girl who will catch frogs, jump in the mud, play with roly poly bugs and pour sand on her head. And I love her just the way she is!

I've always liked a quote by Elizabeth Stone: "Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body." I find this to be completely accurate. Maddie is my heart. The pancakes I make, the swings I push, the stories I read, the tickling I do and the messes I clean up are all worth it because I love this girl more than anything! Maddie brings joy and laughter to my life every single day, she keeps me on my toes, and reminds me that I have the best job in the world!

I love you, my sweet, beautiful girl!

HAPPY THIRD BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!


No comments:

County McCounterson