Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Random dozen

I adore reading other people's blogs. There are people out there that I have never met, they have no idea who I am, and yet I know their kids names, what they look like, how many cups of coffee they have in a day, what they like to do on the weekends etc. It's kind of stalker-ish and creepy on my part, but after reading someone's blog I often feel like I know them....at least at an arms length, and hey.....that's what all of this blogging is about right? Putting our thoughts and feeling out there and hoping it reaches someone? I have some foodie blogs, some photography blogs, some funny blogs and even some crunchy granola living blogs that I follow, but most of the blogs that I am drawn to are mama blogs. Other women who do what I do.....raise their kids and write about the struggles and joys of parenthood. Every one of these woman are different, some work, some stay at home, some have school aged kids, some are veteran parents, some are just starting out, some have a very structured life and some are more like me and free flow! :) Even with all the differences, we have one common thread.....we're moms, and we're putting ourselves out there. It's amazing to me the kind of network that is available in blogger land for Mamas. The support, the love, the encouragement, the resources, the opportunities are endless. Being able to connect with other women who are essentially just like you is refreshing and being able to do that from the comfort of home is super convenient. I came across a bunch of new blogs yesterday thanks to Heather at The Extraordinary Ordinary and have added them to my daily updates. How many blogs is too many?!? One of my newly discovered blogs; 2nd Cup of Coffee does something called random dozen, where she asks 12 random questions, I write a blog and answer them, and then post back on her site with my answers. I doubt anyone will read mine (other than my 5 loyal followers) but I thought I'd play along because it seems fun. So, here goes......



1. On an average, how often do you splurge and buy something for yourself?
This depends on what the definition of splurge is. I buy hair elastics, gum, flavored water etc. for myself frequently, but I don't really consider that a splurge. I also buy things for the house a lot, but I don't consider that something for myself. I think a lens for my camera, jewelery, shoes....stuff like that would be a splurge for me. And that happens maybe once every few months....we'll say once a quarter.

2. Are you more like Hall or Oates? Just kidding. Real question: What is the last creative project you began/finished? Feel free to post a pic of it.
I know nothing about Hall and Oates....I guess that gives my age away! The last creative project that I began (I finished it too!) was flowers made out of vinyl records for my living room. They only took me a couple of days and I think they are fun!

3. OK, Goldie Locks, do you consider your house too big, too little or juuuust right?
We just bought our house in April of this year and although it's a little bigger than what we need right now, I think it's perfect for growing our family! So, juuuust right!

4. What is your favorite outdoor chore?
I like gardening....not sure if I would consider it a chore, but it is outside work. I can't wait until next spring so I can start a new garden!

5. If you knew that cigarette smoking was not bad for your health but would be a weight loss tool, would you use it? Why or why not? I would not use smoking as a weight loss tool because I think there are more effective ways to lose weight. That's also the reason I wouldn't take diet drugs, or be on a liquid only diet.

6. On a road trip, would you rather drive or ride? I would rather ride. That way I can take in the scenery better and be in control of the music selections!

7. What do you consider a trivial pursuit? Shopping for shoes. I pretty much only wear flip flops or sneakers so shoe shopping is pretty pointless and I only do it if I need something specific.

8. This weekend, we downloaded the movie "Duplicity" with Julia Roberts and Clive Owen. Within 5 minutes, I was bored and annoyed, but I kept watching 5-10 minutes at a time hoping it would get better between small chores. I finally gave up and Jorge watched it alone, and then regretted wasting that time because he disliked it intensely, too. So ... how long do you watch a movie or read a book before giving up on it? If I'm at a movie theater I watch the whole thing....gotta get my 20 bucks worth, at home I usually give it 30 minutes before turning it off. I didn't really like Duplicity either but I did finish it.....Ghost of Girlfriends Past is another story, I turned it off. I usually give books 3-4 chapters unless it's really awful!

9. Is there a song that you really love but are embarrassed to admit because it's not cool or it's racy or because it's by Hall and Oates?
I like Beyonce a LOT. I'm not embarrassed by it, but that type of music is not normally my thing, so it might throw people off. I also adore Neil Diamond, no one my age understands my obsession.

10. On a scale of 1-10 (10 = extremely) how spontaneous are you?
Probably a 2. I was raised by a planner and I am a planner to the core. I married a spontaneous man, but I think over the years I've made him less spontaneous rather than the other way around.

11. Are you a food and/or beverage snob?
I am a beer snob.....I like my micro brews and won't drink light beer.....why consume the calories if I don't like it? I have very high standards for food, but I don't rub people's noses in it. I will eat whatever is made for me but I am highly disappointed when I eat at restaurants and know that I could have made the food better myself.

12. Who/What are you trying to control in your life? My kids?!? No, not really.....although sometimes! :) I'm always trying to control the clutter. It takes over my house and I hate it, but it's a reality!

1 comment:

Joyce said...

Hi...just popped in from Lindas...love the records! From the picture I would not have guessed that's what they were.

Your girls are adorable. I have two daughters who are both college students now. Daughters are such sweetness...enjoy yours because it is true what they say about time flying.

County McCounterson