Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Farmers Market

In our quest to be aware of where our food comes from we've started going to our local farmers market once a week for our produce needs. At first it seemed like it was going to be a big inconvenience because I was going from grocery shopping at one store that had everything, to multiple stores and the farmers market. Turns out that having to shop from multiple stores (Aldi & Trader Joes) was more time consuming than just going to Wal Mart, but they had way more selection and some great new foods that I've never had the opportunity to buy before. And what we've learned about the farmers market is that it's a really fun place to spend a few hours in the fresh air with my family! I really love the electricity in the air and the hustle and bustle. We had so much fun this past weekend picking out produce.....the girls really liked putting it all in our canvas bags, and we spent a good amount of time walking through all the plants they had for sale. I ended up buying 5 plants for my garden: basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro and a purple tomato plant. I have all of those growing as seedlings right now, but they aren't ready to put outside yet, and I'm getting antsy for fresh herbs to cook with! I really like the changes that we've made so far to our buying and eating habits and I'm going to do my best to make them stick! Hopefully our garden will be prolific this spring and summer and we won't need to buy much of anything!! The pics below were from our first visit to the farmers market....we are now buying much more produce each week.

These tomatoes were so beautiful and SO delicious
Much better than what we bought in the store just the week before!


I loved this sign! :o)



We bought more apples than pictured, but we ate them at the market
Small round things next to tomatoes: goat cheese! Yuuuuum.
Can you tell that Charlotte liked the blackberries?

No comments:

County McCounterson