Sunday, April 11, 2010

Food Rules #1

I've been reading the book The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Thus far it has been a very interesting book and I've learned a lot about the history of corn and farming policies in our country. I haven't gotten very far because I really only have time to read before bed, and it seems that more and more of my reading time is being used to discuss food, gardening and theory with my husband....totally worth the lack of reading time in my opinion....but it would also be nice to get through this book! :o)

I really like Michael Pollan. I think he has great insight, can write really well and he knows what he's talking about. I also really like his voice for some reason....it's very calming. We've recently watched Food Inc. and The botany of Desire both of which feature Mr. Pollan and his voice. The Botany of Desire is a book that Pollan wrote that was made into a documentary and it was a very interesting flick. Food Inc. is not Pollan's movie, but a lot of what is discussed in the film Pollan talks about in The Omnivore's Dilemma....so all of it really goes hand in hand. I'd highly recommend all of these movies and books.

At the time I bought The Omnivore's Dilemma I also picked up Food Rules.....by, you guessed it, Michael Pollan. It's a really short, easy read and full of great tips for making healthier food choices. I've decided that I'm going to go through the 64 rules and share one rule a day here on my blog. I have no idea if this is legal as far as copyright laws go, but I figure it's for the good of the people, and I would think that Michael Pollan would support that. There is a big intro to the book that talks about the Western diet and the affects it has on people in our country, it also talks about how nutrition has gone from natural to science. If you want the info Pollan shares in his introduction, then buy the book, or ask me.....I'll let you borrow it. So, without further ado, and hopefully without any copyright law suits.......here's our first rule!

1. Eat food.

These days this is easier said than done, especially when seventeen thousand new products show up in the supermarket each year, all vying for your food dollar. But most of these items don't deserve to be called food-I call them edible foodlike substances. They're highly processed concoctions designed by food scientists, consisting mostly of ingredients derived from corn and soy that no normal person keeps in the pantry, and they contain chemical additives with which the human body has not been long acquainted. Today much of the challenge of eating well comes down to choosing real food and avoiding these industrial novelties. -Michael Pollan, Food Rules

1 comment:

Liz Robitaille said...

My favorite that I found while reading labels was on a cans of tuna - they all said they contained Soy. Why would there be soy in my tuna fish?!? lol

County McCounterson